[Gllug] mencoder and windows media / winamp

Rich Walker rw at shadow.org.uk
Tue Jun 3 19:55:23 UTC 2003

Ashley Evans <k0210244 at kingston.ac.uk> writes:

> > So far, I have a 60MB VCD and a 200MB MPEG-2 recorded with -b 6000 -q 2
> > (or similar) from kino using mjpegtools.
> >
> > These are ... okay ... but I'm still hoping for a better solution.
> >
> > I'm now further hindered by not being able to extract the data from kino
> > for mencoder - it won't read kino's "plain" unencode .avi files ...
> >
> > And I'm not even going to get started on the "Athlon overtemperature
> > meltdown during video encoding" issues...
>
> "mencoder -ovc help" will show all available video compressors. Using lavc's
> msmpeg4 codec will make videos that will play on standard win2k & XP, not
> sure about others though. Try it with "mencoder input.mpg -oac mp3lame
> -lameopts vbr=3 -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=msmpeg4:vhq:vbitrate=1500 -o
> output.mpg" There are *many* options for the various codec with mencoder the
> man page is quite descriptive but more info can be found in the MPlayer docs
> @ http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/

The msmpeg codec has the most impressive compression artefacts I have
seen since I tried to write my own compressor :-<

I've hauled through the options *A*LOT*: I'm kind of hoping that someone
was going to say:

mencoder -x -y -z

is what I use to generate stuff that plays on everything.

I'm going with Xander's suggestion about divx, and shipping VCD as well
- kino's VCD output plays in Windows Media Player (but in winamp3 has a
blank screen) and the DIVX quality is pretty good...

> esp. http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/encoding.html#libavcodec.
>
> I've just noticed in those docs that theres a wmv1 compatible compresser which
> may be of use.

It would be, if Windows Media Player played its output :->

cheers, Rich.

rich walker | technical person | Shadow Robot Company | rw at shadow.org.uk
front-of-tshirt space to let     251 Liverpool Road   |
                                 London  N1 1LX       | +UK 20 7700 2487

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk