[Gllug] mencoder and windows media / winamp

Ashley Evans k0210244 at kingston.ac.uk
Tue Jun 3 19:20:26 UTC 2003

> So far, I have a 60MB VCD and a 200MB MPEG-2 recorded with -b 6000 -q 2
> (or similar) from kino using mjpegtools.
>
> These are ... okay ... but I'm still hoping for a better solution.
>
> I'm now further hindered by not being able to extract the data from kino
> for mencoder - it won't read kino's "plain" unencode .avi files ...
>
> And I'm not even going to get started on the "Athlon overtemperature
> meltdown during video encoding" issues...

"mencoder -ovc help" will show all available video compressors. Using lavc's
msmpeg4 codec will make videos that will play on standard win2k & XP, not
sure about others though. Try it with "mencoder input.mpg -oac mp3lame
-lameopts vbr=3 -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=msmpeg4:vhq:vbitrate=1500 -o
output.mpg" There are *many* options for the various codec with mencoder the
man page is quite descriptive but more info can be found in the MPlayer docs
@ http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/

esp. http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/encoding.html#libavcodec.

I've just noticed in those docs that theres a wmv1 compatible compresser which
may be of use.

hth

Ashley.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk