role of UKUUG (was: [Gllug] EDUCASHUN NEWS)

Niall Mansfield nmm at uit.co.uk
Thu Jun 12 10:01:42 UTC 2003

At first when I read Alain's msg. (below) I thought "hmmm, we're
getting off topic here" but on reflection, I believe this type of
issue is core to UKUUG.  Opening doors that were previously closed to
UNIX/Linux is part of the advocacy that UKUUG is about.  Doing so in
an educational context is particularly important as it influences the
next generation.

	Niall

ps: it would keep the noise down if queries regarding acronyms were
    sent only to the originator, not the whole list.

  > From: Alain Williams <addw at phcomp.co.uk>
  > >
  > > MICROSOFT's annual renewable licences continue to drain cash
  > > from the UK's education system, where the company enjoys a
  > > virtual monopoly (Eye 1062).  ...

  > The other big drain on schools is the virtual RM monopoly. I am
  > working on my kids' school to break that - and have lost the first
  > round due to FUD, the head was quite understanding/receptive when
  > I talked about it ...
  >
  > A few nice stories/examples of schools that have moved away and
  > lived would be good.  I am (initially) trying to get PCs bought on
  > the open market into the school as a preliminary to getting some
  > Linux boxes in.
  >
  > One problem is the 'integration' one. One big RM FUD is that other
  > boxes won't work with their 'client connect' s/ware
  > (authentication & simple admin).  I did hear a story of this
  > 'failing' if the network card was not an RM bought one.
  >
  > Does anyone know of a Linux client implementation ? (Server comes
  > next).  If not this would seem ripe for a bit of reverse
  > engineering.

     http://www.uit.co.uk/exim-book
	"The Exim SMTP Mail Server:
	   Official Guide for Release 4"
     by Philip Hazel, published by UIT Cambridge
     http://www.uit.co.uk/practical-tcpip/index.htm
	"Practical TCP/IP:
	   Designing, Using and Troubleshooting TCP/IP Networks
	   on Linux and Windows"
     by Niall Mansfield, published by Addison-Wesley.
Niall Mansfield
    UIT Cambridge                       http://www.uit.co.uk
    PO Box 145                          email: nmm at uit.co.uk
    Cambridge CB4 1GQ,  England		tel: +44 1223 302 041
Subject to UIT's terms and conditions, available on request.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk