[Gllug] Email Folders

Doug Winter doug at pigeonhold.com
Wed Jun 11 10:54:43 UTC 2003

On Tue 10 Jun Mike Brodbelt wrote:
> be widespread enough by now, surely? Mozilla/Evolution at the least
> offer client side support, and sendmail has offered server side support
> for ages. I don't know about Exim/PostFix, but I can't believe they
> don't offer support yet.

I agree, pop-before-smtp is a hack and the world will be a better place
when nobody uses it :)

Two things though:

First, all the major MTAs support SMTP AUTH.  Unfortunately, Linux
doesn't - well, not with PAM anyway.  Because the PAM API is implemented
as a shared object, it runs as the owner of the calling process, who
generally can't access the shadow password file.

Sure, you can provide group-based access, or use LDAP, or run your MTA
as root (if you are brave), but none of these solutions is great.  It's
enough to put a lot of people off.

Second is that many users are pretty clueless, and providing the
inevitable telephone support for people who can't send mail is
irritating in the extreme.  The more fields they need to complete in
outlook express the more of them will screw up.

Enough people find the technique useful to make it worth supporting
anyhow.

doug.

--
As soon as questions of will or decision or reason or choice of action
arise, human science is at a loss. -- Noam Chomsky