[Gllug] Email Folders

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Wed Jun 11 11:10:56 UTC 2003

On Wed, 11 Jun 2003, Doug Winter wrote:

> First, all the major MTAs support SMTP AUTH.  Unfortunately, Linux
> doesn't - well, not with PAM anyway.  Because the PAM API is implemented
> as a shared object, it runs as the owner of the calling process, who
> generally can't access the shadow password file.

You are wrong. Access to the shadow password database does require an
extra consideration however that is very easy to fix.

I've been using PAM to authenticate SMTP AUTH for over three years.

> Sure, you can provide group-based access, or use LDAP, or run your MTA
> as root (if you are brave), but none of these solutions is great.  It's
> enough to put a lot of people off.

I have never run an MTA as root.

> Second is that many users are pretty clueless, and providing the
> inevitable telephone support for people who can't send mail is
> irritating in the extreme.  The more fields they need to complete in
> outlook express the more of them will screw up.

It's not that much extra support - I know as I've been providing it.

Obviously every extra facility you provide means more support however that
is far harder to provide for non standard solutions such as DRAC.

Jason Clifford
http://www.ukfsn.org/			Sign up now

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk