[Gllug] First attempt at building a kernel

Ted Bell ted.bell at lineone.net
Thu Jun 12 19:48:54 UTC 2003

Hope this is the right place to post this, if not please redirect me.

I am new to Linux, having got over numerous teething problems with things like
CD writers Zip drives and finally printers, I thought I would tackle the
kernel how to.

I have not included the whole report produced during make bzdisk, I don't know
how to and it would be a tad long. The extract below is the final few lines.

devlist.h:6999: __devices_ffff causes a section type conflict
make[3]: *** [names.o] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux/drivers/pci'
make[2]: *** [first_rule] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux/drivers/pci'
make[1]: *** [_subdir_pci] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux/drivers'
make: *** [_dir_drivers] Error 2

Unfortunatly it tells me zip. I imagine I have added something in the config
that should not be there but this is a little beyond my rudimentary skills.

Any friendly words of advice or dirtection would be much appriciated. I am in
danger of 'buying a book'.

I am currently running Slackware and I downloaded kernel v 2.4.8

Ted Bell
W7

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk