[Gllug] Postfix commands

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Mon Jun 9 09:05:24 UTC 2003

On Mon, 9 Jun 2003, Xander D Harkness wrote:

> exim -bp  mailq --- The mailq is relevant as it gives your the email IDs.

postqueue -p

> exim -M emailID  force delivery of named message

I think postsuper -r emailID may do what you want. Obviously nothing can
force delivery of an undeliverable address.

> exim -qf  Force another queue run

postqueue -f

> exim -qff  Force another queue run and attempt to flush frozen messages

Should work with the one above.

> exim -Mvl messageID View Log for message

grep messageID $MAILLOG_FILE

> exim -Mvb messageID  View Body for message

I'm not aware of a command to do this. I suspect you'd have to view the
relevant file in the queue.

> exim -Mrm messageID  ReMove message (no errors sent)

postsuper -d messageID

> exim -Mg messageID  Give up and fail message, message bounces to sender

Dunno.

> These are a small sample of the commands available for the control of
> messages under exim, which make manipulation of the mail queue very
> easy.
>
> > I have a server running postfix that has a stack of mail not being
> delivered.  I have more than 200 messages in the queue.
>
> I have searched the terrible postfix docs and only found other people
> asking for postfix commands, yet no answers.  Does any one know if
> there are any commands that can be issued to postfix, rather than just
> a blunt flush?

The postfix documentation seems very good to me.

It does look like exim provides a couple of queue management commands that
postfix doesn't however my experience is that I've never needed them so
I'm not fussed ;)

Jason Clifford
http://www.ukfsn.org/			Sign up now

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk