[Gllug] SUSE Ent 8

Daniel Ahrens dan at prankstersproductions.com
Tue Jun 17 17:26:58 UTC 2003

SLES8 is apparently not a lot diff from SuSE 8.2, except that they throw in
their various front ends for various combinations of packages that would fit
into various Enterprise type configurations. It is the first 'powered by
United Linux' product. United Linux supports standards like LSB. It doesn't
come pre-configured as anything, so the SysAdmin can configure it for
whatever purpose it is required. SLES8 comes with a more expensive support
package and other licensed software like IBM DB2 and SAP. It runs on Fujitsu
Siemens Primergy Servers (x-, i-, p-, z-Series).  Also, the Kernel 2.4.19 is
optimized for asynchronous I/O and multipathing, can address up to 64 GB mem
and scales up to 32 processors. Security is of a major concern for the
distro: eg they include stuff like ippl, the SuSE security script
collectioin Sec-check and Bastille.

Anyway, it looks like that if u know u r way around Open Source Software you
can customize the basic SuSE 8.2 Professional system into whatever u want
the system to do without paying for the licences and validations of other
software that comes with the Enterprise version. The major diff I can see
and this is where I think SuSE (not unlike IBM) are trying to make their
money is by offering state of the art support, and I think this is what you
are paying for. Other than the convenience of having all the necessary
software that you'd need for a plethora of configurations on disc with front
ends that aid you in configuring whatever needs to be configured.

regards

therockstunkidz

dan at prankstersproductions.com
http://www.prankstersproductions.com