[Gllug] SUSE Ent 8

Ian Northeast ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk
Tue Jun 17 18:40:24 UTC 2003

Allen Wayne wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Is anyone running SuSE Linux Enterprise 8? If so could they possibly tell me
> i) what kernel version and ii) what version of glibc is running. The reason
> I ask is I have been asked to investigate running oracle 8i on SUSE 8.2 pro,
> which is not supported by Suse or Oracle (they want us to spend a few 100
> more on the ent. edition).

SLES8 is kernel 2.4.19 and glibc 2.2.5-164.
With patch CD 2 the kernel is the same version with a later build date
(20 May this year as opposed to 21 Oct last year). Glibc is 2.2.5-179.
Patch CD 1 is not recommended.

Note that the kernel especially is not necessarily the same as in the
Professional editions or as any other kernel you will find. SuSE patch
their kernels heavily especially in the Enterprise versions.

The only version of Oracle 8i which is certified is 8.1.7. 9i R2 is also
certified. See
http://www.suse.de/en/business/certifications/certified_software/oracle/matrix.html.
This also indicates uncertified combinations which are known to work. If
you want to use Professional your best bet seems to be 8.1.

The main point of running an Enterprise edition is the certification.
Without this you cannot call Oracle for support. If you are likely to
need to do this, and IME if you use Oracle heavily you are as it can be
tricky and you may need official patches, you should run the Enterprise
edition. The price is not that high in the scheme of things (compare the
Oracle license).

Regards, Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk