[Gllug] Access Database to MySQL / PostreSQL

Simon Faulkner simon at titanic.co.uk
Fri Jun 13 06:50:24 UTC 2003

>>Following which I guess it is just a matter of sticking a web front end on
it<<

He he!

Unless your database is VERY simple you may want to warm up by just sorting
world peace and just designing a fusion reactor for your car.

The trouble is that Access allows you to very quickly make a very
sophisticated front end that your users will love.

If anyone can help me to learn another way of producing these front ends
that is even 10% as efficient as Access I would gladly pay a day's
consultancy or 3 for some instruction.

Don't mis-understand me I have been let down BIG TIME by Access and as a
backend it stinks but I just can't find any similar way of produciing the
front end.

Our best application uses MySQL as a backend, has a Python web front end for
simple user data input but I have to use Access to provide the admin forms
and Access using MySQL linked tables via ODBC is a bit quirky.

I had high hopes for Kylix and the facilities within OO.o but neither are
easy to use.  I have a couple of books which cover GUIs for Pyhton such as
Tk/Tinker but they are seriously complex.

Text based Paradox for Linux, that's what we need!

Simon

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk