[Gllug] Connection to LDAP Server failed! at /srv/www/start/index.pl line 45

Xander D Harkness xander at harkness.co.uk
Wed Jun 4 22:49:55 UTC 2003

As you can see I have I have an LDAP problem, this is now slightly more
pressing than my firewall hiccoughs!

LDAP is pretty central to the whole system as I cannot retrieve mail, or
log in to administer the system.

The error:

Connection to LDAP Server failed! at /srv/www/start/index.pl line 45

Started after I had a power failure.

The system has been installed for three days only and I really cannot
just reinstall and lose all current mail.

Backups would be great; however some monkey in the office moved the
server and pulled the scsi cable leading to the tape drive.

I cannot find any ldap failures in the SuSE archives or on Google
similar to this.

It would be great if someone could give me some pointers.

I have run rcldap status and am told that ldap is running.

I have had a look at the ldap configuration files and they all appear
readable and intact.

I do not want to do any kind of fsck, for the last time I did that on a
reiser partition it decided that it would shred the drive.

The perl script that provides the error is attempting to connect to the
ldap server on localhost.  the hosts file is in tact and the local
interface is okay.

I have run netstat -anp and I cannot see anything listening on port 389

Kind regards
Xander

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk