[Gllug] How to schedule a sound

John Hearns jhearns at freesolutions.net
Mon Jun 9 16:19:05 UTC 2003

> >Actually, thinking about it, I don't know if it will...
> >It WILL if it's outputted direct to a VC though so echo -e '\a'>/dev/tty0

A long time ago, I installed a small alerting package on Solaris, which
played an audible warning when disks were 90% full.
A poor radiographer nearly jumped out of her skin first time it went off.

IIRC  used a text-to-speech converter available over the web to
create the .au file to play. AGain IIRC  http://wwwtios.cs.utwente.nl/say/

I guess these days you would use something like Festival or something to
make a nice
job of it.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk