[Gllug] Small installation

itsbruce at uklinux.net itsbruce at uklinux.net
Tue Jun 24 13:03:12 UTC 2003

On Tue, Jun 24, 2003 at 01:23:21PM +0100, Richard Jones wrote:
> As for <120 MB ... you could be in for a hard time. I never had a full
> Linux running in such a limited space even back in the original
> Slackware-on-30-floppies days.

It's quite possible.  With Debian, the thing to do on set-up would be to
go into dselect at the final choice and go through removing things,
adding nothing.  Remove everything that isn't essential.  You can easily
end up with a system that occupies less than 40MB.  Then make a careful
list of those things you do need and use dselect to install them
(dselect gives you more freedom to make choices to resolve depencies and
suggested packages).

Choose a lightweight windowmanager like pwm.  If you want a graphical
browser, try Dillo for something really small.  Avoid things that depend
on gnome or kde libraries.  Use console applications where you can (I
use console apps for mail, news and most web browsing).

If you're really pushed for space you can even have ash instead of bash,
which will save you a whole megabyte.

The first time you try it, use one partition for the whole lot.  Have a
look at how space is used before you try any more complex partitioning
scheme.

--
Bruce

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk