[Gllug] Re: www.spews.org - spamming blacklist

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Tue Jun 3 09:03:56 UTC 2003

On Tue, 3 Jun 2003, Doug Winter wrote:

> The real issue here is ISPs, who choose to use blacklists as a cheap way
> of reducing the amount of mail they have to carry.  Certainly the
> reasoning may be inspired by stopping spam, but it justifies
> exploitation of ISP's users.  Those users pay for a mail service, and
> they aren't receiving it, because perfectly legitimate users are unable
> to send them email.
>
> The economics of that argument may work for ISPs, but I really don't see
> how it works for users.

While lots of users are now on flat rate access schemes please don't
forget that the majority of Internet access is still on a metered basis.

Downloading large quantities of spam costs the end user money too - not
only in the direct costs but also in increased ISP operating costs which
are then passed onto the user.

Jason Clifford
http://www.ukfsn.org/			Sign up now

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk