[Gllug] SPEWS (and Squid)

t.clarke tim at seacon.co.uk
Tue Jun 3 09:14:49 UTC 2003

A most interesting exchange of views re Spews, presumably kicked off by
my revelation that we, along with loads of other Enerbgis customers, are
blacklisted by them.

>From my perspective:
a) we simply use the energis network as a leased-line to the internet (bloody
expensive, thanks to BT, but thats another story ..) and thus cannot simply
switch ISP as has been suggested elswhere
b) a reasonable approach  by Spews would surely be simply to block the precise
'offending' IP addresses, not a whole range of them
c) the 'cure' would seem to be the equivalent of chopping off an arm to deal
 with a painful finger
d) I suspect that many sysadmins that subscribe to Spews may not necessarily be
aware that it blocks whole IP ranges in this manner. I was certainly considering
the possibility of using a blacklist  (hadn't got very far down the road with
my researches) and I naively assumed that such services only blacked specific
known open-relays.

Has anyone any recommendations as to a sensible anti-spam approach in conjunctio
-n with our 'qmail' mail server ?

On the subject of squid - I tried the 'connect n.n.n.n:25' wheeze and received
a whole screed of info from the oproxy including 'domain inaccessible'.
It wasn't the same info as Martin Brroks provided,  but the effect was the same
- no connection.

Tim

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk