[Gllug] Wireless hardware

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Wed Jun 18 10:43:22 UTC 2003

My advice:

DON'T buy D-Link, EVER. I've got an AP and 3 PCMCIA cards from them
and they've ALL broken down after a few months.

Netgear's ME102 AP works very well. I just got one of these from
Insight (in fact I got two because Insight's website is broken and
have yet to get my CC refunded).

Belkin's AP works very well.

Buy the cheapest possible Prism2-based clone PCI/PCMCIA/CF card you
can find.  (You can now get them for under 30 quid in PCMCIA
format). It'll almost certainly work and you won't have lost too much
money if it doesn't. I got a Vianect card for 29 quid, and it works
beautifully. I've also got a mixture of other cards, including a
Buffalo CF card which is also recommended.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones, Red Hat Inc. (London) and Merjis Ltd. http://www.merjis.com/
http://www.annexia.org/ Freshmeat projects: http://freshmeat.net/users/rwmj