[Gllug] EDUCASHUN NEWS

Xander D Harkness xander at harkness.co.uk
Thu Jun 12 15:48:28 UTC 2003

Alain Williams wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 12, 2003 at 08:21:33AM +0100, Gordon Joly wrote:
>

>>******
>>
>>EDUCASHUN NEWS (Private Eye 1082, 13-26 June 2003)
>>
>>MICROSOFT's annual renewable licences continue to drain cash from the
>>UK's education system, where the company enjoys a virtual monopoly
>>(Eye 1062).
>

> The other big drain on schools is the virtual RM monopoly. I am working on my kids'
> school to break that - and have lost the first round due to FUD, the head was
> quite understanding/receptive when I talked about it ...

I recently turned down a position at a school to teach A level.

To do A level computing you have to do a project.  The project 'has' to
be a database.  The only database that other CS teachers know how to use
and hence mark is Access.

If you do not use Access as an application for the 'mandatory' database
then you can kiss good bye to ever seeing an A.

I could not stomach extending MS' monopoly.

Kind regards
Xander

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk