[Gllug] OT : Credit cards in a MySQL Database

Richard Cottrill richard_c at tpg.com.au
Tue Jun 17 11:12:29 UTC 2003

I have seen it done; but I wouldn't unless I had no choice. The risk is
too high for me. People can bleat about "you should make it secure" (and
you should); but that's no reason to tempt fate, invite trouble, etc.

Either way, yes, I would encrypt the data, make the server physically
secure, be very sure that you have vetted all employees with (physical
or virtual) access, don't send the credit card numbers across any
network if you can avoid it (encrypted or not - send hashes where
appropriate).

I'd set up a separate server that had no route to the Internet, that had
a single purpose of storing and providing sensitive data. I'd write a
very small, simple application to shift data between this separate
machine and the web server (the idea is this is a very simple
application so it's easily secured - there are just less opportunities
to make mistakes).

I believe that security is about putting as many obstacles in the way of
potential intruders as possible. Harden your system as far as is
possible, then obfuscate.

A server with credit card details WILL attract unwanted attention of the
motivated and competent variety. You should be paranoid.

Richard

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk