[Gllug] gentoo

Dylan dylan at dylan.me.uk
Tue Jun 10 20:12:03 UTC 2003

On Tuesday 10 June 2003 20:43, john gennard wrote:
<SNIP>
> If I understand you, what I can do is:-
>
> a. Create a partition /dev/hdx (say 5gig) for Gentoo and put a
>    filesystem on it, say ext3. (I've plenty of space on a hard disk).

I'd go for ext2 to start with - you can change it over later and ext2 is in
the kernel by default.

> b. Boot into Knoppix (I've installed it on the same same hard drive
>    and have plenty of spare space on the partition)

Why not Debian? you aren't going to be making any changes to the running
system.

> c. Create a directory (say /gentoobuild) after learning how to use
>    chroot - at the moment I've no knowledge of it.
> d. Put the tarball (I think stage 3) in the protected directory and
>    unpack it, then see what is there. Can't look further forward
>    until I see what's there. I presume/hope there will be the basic
>    root program.

You want to copy all the necessary files, including the system utilities and
libraries into the new directory before you chroot, otherwise you'll not be
able to do anything.

You might find the instructions for Linux From Scratch very helpful
www.linuxfromscratch.org - it takes you through step by step and explains
each part. It's more work, but the istructions are very good, and you'll
learn much more.

HTH
Dylan

--