[Gllug] gentoo

john gennard joney at clara.co.uk
Tue Jun 10 19:43:40 UTC 2003

> Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2003, Jim Bailey <jim at freesolutions.net> wrote:-

> On Sun, Jun 08, 20030, john gennard wrote:
> > This month's Linux Magazine CD contains tarballs for Gentoo 1.4rc4.
> > I would like to have a look at this distro, but don't understand
> > how to go about installing it. I'd have no problem with a downloaded
> > version burned onto a CD, but what can I do with a tarball alone?
>
> If it is just the tarballs then I would say create them within a chroot
> environment.  There are lots of docs on this on the gentoo site.  the
> latest editions of portage give the option of running emerge (the Gentoo
> equivalent of apt) niced which means it will not interfere with your
> current install until you are ready for it.  Also copy the relevant
> files from /etc to save hassle.

Yes, it is the tarballs I want to use as it means me trying something
I've not done before. I'm 73 and without much basic computing knowledge,
but at the same time enjoying gaining know-how as a 'hobby'. Debian is
my 'working' distro and I'm comfortable with it. I've had a look at most
other distros, but always from a bootable CD. Here I could not see how
to even start. You've put me in the starting blocks, but there's still
lots I'll need to get clear.

If I understand you, what I can do is:-

a. Create a partition /dev/hdx (say 5gig) for Gentoo and put a
   filesystem on it, say ext3. (I've plenty of space on a hard disk).
b. Boot into Knoppix (I've installed it on the same same hard drive
   and have plenty of spare space on the partition)
c. Create a directory (say /gentoobuild) after learning how to use
   chroot - at the moment I've no knowledge of it.
d. Put the tarball (I think stage 3) in the protected directory and
   unpack it, then see what is there. Can't look further forward
   until I see what's there. I presume/hope there will be the basic
   root program.
e. Work like the clappers.
f. When I've built, the presumably I'll need to mount /dev/hdx and
   transfer everthing to that partition.
g. I haven't used grub (or even lilo), so I think I may need to
   reconfigure the selected kernel and make a boot floppy (which is
   what I always use - may seem strange, but it works for me)

Am I getting anywhere near? I have read all the literature (in fact
I've printed it out), but I don't get the same out of it as you.

> > There must be a way, otherwise why offer just tarballs. Can someone
> > help please - I can partition, create filesystems, unpack and cope
> > with most configuration requirements, but how to boot from a CD
> > containing only a tarball?.
>
> You are not meant to boot from it but use your current system and build
> the gentoo chrooted from there just follow the instruction in Gentoo
> install instructions.
>

> > I've looked at the relevant web sites, but cannot see anything that
> > covers what confuses me. I have Debian Woody (my main system) and
> > Knoppix 3.1 running.
>
> If you have done a HD install and used the whole disk you may need to
> use parted the GNU partition resizer to make your self a gentoo
> partition.  Should be OK to do this if you have ext2/3 but things are
> definitely nasty if you went for an xfs file system.  As AFAIK you can
> only expand and not shrink xfs.
>
> I know I promised you a gentoo LIve PPC install CD, I can also throw in
> a x86 live CD too if you want.

Are you mistaking me for someone else?

Many thanks for your reply. Thanks also to Pete Black, but Pete, I don't
want to download everything from gentoo.org - I could get a CD overnight
from John at Linuxemporium if I wanted to go that way.

Incidentally, I did understand most of the portage facility. I'm prone
to crude analogies, and I equated it to the way that in Debian I
download source code, automatically create a .deb package and install
it

Again, thanks.

Regards,    John.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk