[Gllug] Scanning

Tethys tet at accucard.com
Wed Jun 11 11:12:24 UTC 2003

Rev Simon Rumble writes:

>Option 3) If these are documents that are printed anyway, why not just
>email them a PDF?

Because you then have to first convert the scanned image into PDF.
It's easier to just send the image directly which can then be printed
as required.

BTW, this is a textbook example of when to use DjVu.

	http://www.djvuzone.org/

We used to have a sheet feeder scanning system at one of my previous
companies. It's quite scary how fast they can go. Pricey, though...

As for hardware recommendations, I would think my knowledge of
scanners is too out of date to be of much use. If you're doing
any non-trivial quantity of scanning, I'd avoid USB or parallel
port models, though, and go for Firewire or ideally SCSI. HP has
a remarkably informative overview on choosing the right scanner:

	http://www.hp.com/sbso/advice/articles_printing1.html

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk