[Gllug] Strange NFS - Kmail interraction

Dylan dylan at dylan.me.uk
Wed Jun 11 21:32:13 UTC 2003

Hi All,

Kmail shows some strange behaviour when I have my home directory mounted via
nfs:

I fire up Kmail, and d/load the mail queue (say 50 messages). After reading
them they are all marked as read - just as you'd expect. Ten minutes later,
Kmail autochecks for mail and some more (3 say) turn up. All of a sudden, it
reports 53 unread mails - the ones I read before are now marked unread! Once
the mails are marked read, compacting the folder makes the marking 'stick'.

This does not happen when I am logged in at the machine where my home
directory is local. That is - the machine in my office, which I use most of
the time, holds my home directory and Kmail functions fine. It also exports
my home directory, but when I log on to another machine I get the problem
above.

Kmail is storing mails as maildir format.

The filesystem in exported with these options:
rw,no_root_squash,sync,no_wdelay,no_all_squash
I added the sync and no_wdelay in an attempt to solve the problem (thought it
might be a timeout problem or somesuch) but they made no difference.

It is imported with: defaults,_netdev,sync

The permissions are all OK.

Any suggestions welcomed..

Cheers

Dylan