[Gllug] Email Folders

Xander D Harkness xander at harkness.co.uk
Wed Jun 11 19:47:19 UTC 2003

Mike Brodbelt wrote:

>On Wed, 2003-06-11 at 12:53, Xander D Harkness wrote:
>

>>Doug Winter wrote:
>>

>>exim will also do login, plain and spa, which is useful, if you set all
>>up then no matter what the clients choose it will work :-)
>>

>Login and plain are evil, unless wrapped in TLS. If, as others in the
>thread have been suggesting, you're authenticating from /etc/shadow,
>login and plains should be considered absolute no-no's. Use CRAM-MD5 or
>DIGEST-MD5. If you auth via SASL, you can have a separate backend as
>well - LDAP or whatever.

I would agree on the TLS front; however I like to use encryption for
everything.

I advertise TLS for all incoming mail which means that all incoming mail
from BT and many other companies is encrypted as well as all the
companies mail servers I have set up.

TLS has the advantage as it requires less effort from the users :-)

Kind regards
Xander

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk