[Gllug] bringing equipment in to UK?

John Hearns jhearns at freesolutions.net
Wed Jun 4 14:04:18 UTC 2003

> Thanks for your replies on this.  I called customs and since the servers
> will be left here they need to pay VAT when they bring them in.  They
> also said we need to sort out a broker to meet the guy at the airport
> when he arrives in the red lane to make sure it's all done correctly.
> Found a broker (£80 not as bad as I expected) and he was very pleased we
> contacted him before bringing the gear in.  Sounds like people have

Brings back memories from many years ago of taking scientific equipment
to/from CERN.
We could ship equipment out there for use in experiments, so long as we
took it back to the UK when finished using it.
I remember bringing back FASTBUS modules once (at one time I knew a
lot about this now-outdated bus).

CERN also have a bit of a unique setup - as it straddles two countries,
they have their own border crossing point, uniquely so they can send kit
out to the French side and back.
They would have all sorts of fun and games with customs/duty payments
if they didn't.
Woe betide you though if you try to take anything else through 'The Tunnel'.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk