[Gllug] mencoder and windows media / winamp

Rich Walker rw at shadow.org.uk
Tue Jun 3 17:22:10 UTC 2003

Jason Clifford <jason at ukpost.com> writes:

> On Tue, 3 Jun 2003, Xander D Harkness wrote:
>
> > You could also use vcdimager which will create Video CDs which will play
> > in DVD players and on a bog standard w98 and later
>
> VCD quality is not so good. SVCD however is generally very good and may be
> sufficient.

For some reason the svcd output of kino is not acceptable to windows
XXXXe player or winamp.

So far, I have a 60MB VCD and a 200MB MPEG-2 recorded with -b 6000 -q 2
(or similar) from kino using mjpegtools.

These are ... okay ... but I'm still hoping for a better solution.

I'm now further hindered by not being able to extract the data from kino
for mencoder - it won't read kino's "plain" unencode .avi files ...

And I'm not even going to get started on the "Athlon overtemperature
meltdown during video encoding" issues...

cheers, Rich.

rich walker | technical person | Shadow Robot Company | rw at shadow.org.uk
front-of-tshirt space to let     251 Liverpool Road   |
                                 London  N1 1LX       | +UK 20 7700 2487

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk