[Gllug] Network configuration

Jonathan Dye jonathan.dye at automationpartnership.com
Fri Jun 20 10:24:38 UTC 2003

Tethys wrote:
> Jonathan Dye writes:
>
>> I want the machines to be public accessible and then use the
>> firewall to choose what actually gets in.  For example I want to be
>> able to ssh into any of the internal machines.
>
> Use port forwarding on the firewall.

OK, for another example I want to use linphone (which doesn't play well with
NAT from what I've found).  I'm not trying to be difficult it's just that I
would really like to give them all public addresses.  If my proposed
configuration is not going to work then I'll probably end up doing
addressess re-writing (rather than port forwarding).

>> Therefore I though my options were to either give them all real IP
>> addresses or to re-write the public addresses to private addresses
>> with a one to one mapping at the firewall. I thought the former would
>> be simpler.
>
> I guess the level of difficulty depends on the individual in question,
> but I'd have gone for NATing with port forwarding (in fact, I *did*
> go for that option :-) My home setup looks pretty my exactly like
> yours, except that I have a few more machines behind the firewall...

I have no problem setting up port forwarding or address re-writing it's just
that I thought adding a few routing table entries would be easier (read
quicker and with more confidence) to do.

Seeing as I only have 3 spare addresses and I'm probably going to end up
with more that 3 machines soon I might end up with private addresses
internally anyway.  Then I'll probably end up with the address re-writing
stuff for specific machines.  I'm just playing around really and want to try
all the different options.

> Tet

JD

MessageLabs Virus Scanning Service