[Gllug] NFS across firewall

Richard Turner richard at rj-turner.freeserve.co.uk
Sun Jun 8 18:45:00 UTC 2003

On Sunday 08 Jun 2003 7:21 pm, Alistair Mann put fingers to keys and typed:
> My understanding is that NFS has a certain element that includes
> dynamically assigned ports at both ends, making it very difficult to map
> connections across NAT.

I think I confused the issue here mentioning the NAT.  The two boxen have
fixed IP addresses on the LAN.  Essentially the LAN is plugged straight onto
the Net without a firewall but with NAT.  It's also why each box on the LAN
has to run its own firewall (something I hadn't considered when I bought the
router :-( ).

Presumably if dynamically assigned ports are used there's a method to specify
the range to choose from so that can be factored into my iptables?

                         Internet

                      Router with built-in
                  switch (manages NAT)
                      Melkor     Gollum

Both Melkor and Gollum run iptables.
--
"Racing turtles, the grapefruit is winning..."

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk