[Gllug] gentoo

john gennard joney at clara.co.uk
Sun Jun 8 19:14:46 UTC 2003

This month's Linux Magazine CD contains tarballs for Gentoo 1.4rc4.
I would like to have a look at this distro, but don't understand
how to go about installing it. I'd have no problem with a downloaded
version burned onto a CD, but what can I do with a tarball alone?

There must be a way, otherwise why offer just tarballs. Can someone
help please - I can partition, create filesystems, unpack and cope
with most configuration requirements, but how to boot from a CD
containing only a tarball?.

I've looked at the relevant web sites, but cannot see anything that
covers what confuses me. I have Debian Woody (my main system) and
Knoppix 3.1 running.

Grateful for any help.

John.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk