[Gllug] IDE RAID

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Thu Jun 12 09:22:23 UTC 2003

On Thu 12 Jun, Simon A. Boggis wrote:

> IMHO SCSI always seems much faster compared to IDE when there is lots of
> reading and writing going on all over the place by multiple processes
> (such as in a shared fileserver).
>
> Simon

   Is that because the SCSI system is able to disconnect from a drive
between sending a command and returning to continue, allowing the drive seek
time, and enabling the processor to access other drives during the wait? The
same should be possible with only one IDE drive per controller.
   I have an HP Netserver 60 which has two SCSI UW-LVD controller chains,
each capable of connecting to 15 drives. I assume that this could be
configured as a RAID array, but it would still be classed as software RAID.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk