[Gllug] IDE RAID

Simon A. Boggis simon at dcs.qmul.ac.uk
Thu Jun 12 00:25:49 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-06-11 at 17:24, Richard Cottrill wrote:
> software RAIDs are generally significantly quicker (something to do with
> the outrageous speed of modern processors). The only other comment I can

Depends: on how fast your processor is (or conversely how slow your
disks are) and what kind of RAID. RAID5 is very taxing to do for fast
drives, and you might be glad of a dedicated processor to calculate the
checksums for you. I have a few small striped or mirrored IDE systems,
and they seem OK.

IMHO SCSI always seems much faster compared to IDE when there is lots of
reading and writing going on all over the place by multiple processes
(such as in a shared fileserver).

Simon

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk