[Gllug] Red hat 8 subscription

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Fri Jun 6 22:20:59 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-06-06 at 09:21, Tethys wrote:
> "Martin A. Brooks" writes:
>
> >Could you please point me at the RPM that will migrate postgres 7.0 to
> >postgres 7.3 rebuilding any databases appropriately. I'd be very interested
> >in testing it.
>
> No, I can't. Which is of course utterly irrelevant -- it simply means
> that either no one has made one yet, or just that I don't know about it.
>
> Put it another way -- which features do you think dpkg provides that
> allow this type of upgrade which aren't present in rpm?

Having migrated (almost) all my systems from RedHat to Debian, I watch
the dpkg/rpm/apt discussions with interest. There is a tendency to put
down rpm which is, IMO, unjustified - rpm is an excellent tool, and does
it's job very well.

Debian fans often get caught up in how wonderful the packaging system
is. While it is a good system, what's often forgotten is the huge amount
of work put in behind the scenes by the debian developer community. To
my mind, debian's strength is that developer effort, and the sense of
pride in the distro that the developers share. It's that community that
makes all the difference - dpkg/apt just provides a framework to make
what they do possible.

RedHat just doesn't have this - official RH rpms are fine, but when you
start mixing and matching things go pear shaped, and it's effectively
impossible to do an in-place upgrade on a running system. I migrated off
RedHat because I ound that I was sending ever more time backporting rpms
to no-longer supported versions of RedHat, because I didn't have the
time to follow every major version upgrade on my servers.

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk