[Gllug] Red hat 8 subscription

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Sat Jun 7 09:40:59 UTC 2003

On Fri 06 Jun, Mike Brodbelt wrote:

> Debian fans often get caught up in how wonderful the packaging system
> is. While it is a good system, what's often forgotten is the huge amount
> of work put in behind the scenes by the debian developer community. To
> my mind, debian's strength is that developer effort, and the sense of
> pride in the distro that the developers share. It's that community that
> makes all the difference - dpkg/apt just provides a framework to make
> what they do possible.
>
> RedHat just doesn't have this - official RH rpms are fine, but when you
> start mixing and matching things go pear shaped, and it's effectively
> impossible to do an in-place upgrade on a running system. I migrated off
> RedHat because I ound that I was sending ever more time backporting rpms
> to no-longer supported versions of RedHat, because I didn't have the
> time to follow every major version upgrade on my servers.

   RedHat and SuSE boxed sets are OK for someone completely new to Linux to
quickly get something up and running, but I switched to Debian after trying
and finding problems with both.
   Debian tries to avoid leaving packages installed but unconfigured, and
will attempt an initial setup on every package selected, both during initial
installation and while adding extra packages, but this requires a series of
configuration choices before I am able to read all of the documentation
installed with each package. Details about re-starting the complete initial
configuration later are shown on screen during the installation, and it is
worth fully reading all screens presented and making notes at the time. Also
available is dpkg-reconfigure for individual packages.
   I have to read through plenty of documentation, and learn about many
facilities that I will probably not need, but now know exist, but I know
that any local configuration that follows the documentation instructions
will be retained when the system is upgraded, and will be applied if at all
possible. Configuration files are modified directly, and are not duplicated
elsewhere. I try to retain the original settings as comments so that I can
undo mistakes.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk