[Gllug] Red hat 8 subscription

Jim Bailey jim at freesolutions.net
Wed Jun 4 13:22:40 UTC 2003

On Wed, Jun 04, 2003 at 02:27:27PM +0100, Pete Black wrote:
> Surely having an interpreter on a production machine is also a security risk
> then? Bye bye um, everything?
>
> A machine that has a blank hard disk and no network connection is very
> secure but also completely useless.
>
> I utterly fail to see how gentoo is a problem here, and I also fail to see
> the need for a separate mirror of each production machine. A distro like
> Debian or Redhat supports most machines without a 'mirror' of each specific
> setup. Same with Gentoo.
>
> Its not like you can't run a binary compiled on one gentoo system on another
> machine, and there is no specific need to have a compiler on the servers
> that have their packages compiled by your 'master' machine that just happens
> to run gentoo, or for the 'master' machine to be exposed to the rest of the
> world.
>
> Does it really pain Debian bigots so much that Gentoo has grown into an
> excellent distribution with a really good package manager?

Please don't make this is to a bad tempered Distro war I made a jokey
comment about package management and then trolled a bit and got bounced
by Tet from out of the sun. :)

Lest we forget Debian utils is part of the core gentoo packages and
Gentoo quite openly admit that there own social contract is lifted from
debian.  Ext3 thanks Red Hat, And at some point soon x86-64 thanks suSE.

Peace Jim

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk