[Gllug] Red hat 8 subscription

Tethys tet at accucard.com
Wed Jun 4 09:13:54 UTC 2003

Adrian McMenamin writes:

>OK, let's say I buy this. How do I move from RH to Debian without massive
>pain?

Simple answer -- you don't :-) Debian can be painful.

More complete answer -- actually, the two are very similar (as indeed
are most Linux distributions). The pain involved will depend on what
you're currently using your RH box for. If it's just a desktop machine,
then it should be fairly easy. If you're running any notable daemons,
take a note of what you're running, and keep copies of any relevant
config files before you change. You have got your home directories on
a separate disk, right? So you can upgrade the OS without affecting
any user data? Or if not a separate disk, at least a separate filesystem?
If not, you'll need to back up anything you want to keep before the
reinstall.

Debian and RH do some things differently, but fortunately, Debian
is fairly well documented, so if something looks unfamiliar, you're
likely to be able to find out what to do relatively easily.

Good luck!

Tet

PS. Oh, and if you do go the Debian route, please try and avoid being
    sucked into the "dpkg is better than rpm" propaganda trap. It's not.
    They're pretty equal. Nor does it help you avoid dependency problems.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk