[Gllug] "lowest common denominator"

Andrew Black (li) andrew-li at black1.org.uk
Fri Jun 20 05:01:31 UTC 2003

> However, they've changed the typesetting in recent versions, and
> it's *apalling*. It looks like it's been dumbed down to appeal to
> the lowest common denominator,

As this thread is about pedantry, my hobby horse is the phrase
"lowest common denominator".  Not getting at Tet specifically but everyone
that uses it.

What is being implyed by this phrase is something no larger than all the
(say) people involved.
That is the highest common factor. The lowest common multiple/denominator is
a number that is
BIGGER than all the numbers you are considering.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk