[Gllug] IDE RAID

John Edwards John.Edwards at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Wed Jun 11 22:56:48 UTC 2003

On Wed, Jun 11, 2003 at 05:07:33PM +0100, Simon Faulkner wrote:
> We have a requirement for a lot of storage on a server.
>
> I was thinking of using the Adaptec ATA RAID 2400A and 4 x 250 Gb IDE
> drives.
>
> RedHat 9 (or I migh have a go with Debian)
>
> About 800 Gb for £1000ish
>
> A SCSI solution would be MUCH more.
>
> Any advice?
>
> Simon

Hi
One factor that I don't think anyone else has mentioned is that of heat.

I've found that IDE drives are somewhat more susceptible to overheating,
though of course the design of the hard disk case/caddies will have a lot
to do with that.

If the Adaptec 2400A uses the dpt_i2o driver then it should work in both
RedHat 9.0 and Debian 3.0 (and probably most systems with later 2.4 kernels).

--
|  John Edwards    Email: John.Edwards at uk.com  |

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk