[Gllug] Red hat 8 subscription

Pete Black pete at pblack.uklinux.net
Wed Jun 4 13:27:27 UTC 2003

Surely having an interpreter on a production machine is also a security risk
then? Bye bye um, everything?

A machine that has a blank hard disk and no network connection is very
secure but also completely useless.

I utterly fail to see how gentoo is a problem here, and I also fail to see
the need for a separate mirror of each production machine. A distro like
Debian or Redhat supports most machines without a 'mirror' of each specific
setup. Same with Gentoo.

Its not like you can't run a binary compiled on one gentoo system on another
machine, and there is no specific need to have a compiler on the servers
that have their packages compiled by your 'master' machine that just happens
to run gentoo, or for the 'master' machine to be exposed to the rest of the
world.

Does it really pain Debian bigots so much that Gentoo has grown into an
excellent distribution with a really good package manager?

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk