[Gllug] Red hat 8 subscription

Jim Bailey jim at freesolutions.net
Wed Jun 4 13:11:31 UTC 2003

On Wed, Jun 04, 2003 at 12:14:11PM +0100, Tethys wrote:

> Jim Bailey writes:
>
> >> Gentoo is fine for a home desktop, but it's not practical when you have
> >> more than about 3 servers to maintain.  I have 170.
> >
> >FUD prove it and I will make a public apology.
>
> Easy. Having a compiler on a production machine is a security risk.
> Bye bye Gentoo.
>
> Having to maintain a separate machine that mirrors each of your production
> servers, just to compile and then rsync updates is impractical, therefore
> Gentoo is impractical for large scale server use.

Absolutely which is why it is considered strictly a no-no in Gentoo
circles for small outfits simply compiling or cross compiling on the sys
admins desktop should be acceptable.

For larger systems a dedicated machine to build binary ebuilds, yes they
do exist stage 2 and 3 bootstrap ebuilds are binary Gentoo packages.
Never used them though, they are for wimps. ;)

My next "Gentoo project" is to get my head around cross compiling so I
can compile my G3 Gentoo stuff on my Athlon-xp.  By the same token there
are projects I am working on where Debian not Gentoo is the natural
choice.

I have over the last few months worked on Solaris, HP-UX, Dynix, Unix
Ware (not proud about that one ;)), Red Hat, SuSE, Debian and Gentoo
they all have strengths and weaknesses.  Gentoo is new compared to
the rest and comes to the table with its own strengths and
weaknesses.[0]
I just didn't wish to see it falsely accused of something that was not
IMHO true.

> Do we get an apology yet? :-)

Not quite yet but with you on the case I sure I will be eating humble
pie before nightfall. :)

[0] Want to see Gentoo screw up spectacularly downgrade glibc.  I have
done it twice so far not pretty.  It is done regularly by newbie
muppets such as myself.  I am trying to get some docs out to ease the
pain of repairing such fsck ups.  :)

Peace Jim

If I have seen further than you, it is by standing upon the shoulders of
giants. --- Isaac Newton

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk