[Gllug] plurals

Daniel Ahrens dan at prankstersproductions.com
Thu Jun 19 15:35:44 UTC 2003

> > English grammar at shool), the rule that dictates 'if I were ....'
> > as opposed to 'I was....' ?
>
> The word "subjunctive" springs to mind ...

>Indeed, this is a subjunctive usage.  However, AFAIK it is (originally) a
>US-ism.

Uuuuh... ooohhh.. I don't think it is that simple. If you listen to East
Enders (East End of London) speak (not the ones on the telly, the real ones)
they regularly employ:

We was...

I were...

Language is a dynamic entity that does not conform well to rules. It's like
music: people invented and played a variety of instruments first and then
invented the rules for them (eg. harmonics, chords etc). It's the same in
any language: grammar rules are formed after the fact and not before. That's
why for me personally trying to tie down one usage of certain words,
sentences etc. has to end in failure, because you cannot halt the march of
history and time.

I will bet a million bucks that a thousand years from now the English that
we speak nowadays (regardless if it's Oxford or Webster, who cares) won't be
spoken then. (That is if we haven't blown ourselves up by then). Personally
I think leaving languages to develop on their own is more reasonable than to
constantly try and interfere with the development process by saying that one
thing is correcter than another (thereby trying to arrest a dynamic
process), when it can't be.

As long as we all know what is meant with eg. 'phunkso brother' why bother
about public school type debates about which grammar or spelling or whatever
is correcter than the next.

Anyway, this geek club should perhaps transfer to a language oriented
discussion list. :) Sorry, had to state the obvious here.

When this discussion first kicked off I was more embarrassed for our female
colleague(s) on this list than how you spell the plural of the darn thang.

Let's kick some ass and grow up, shall we?

therockstunkidz

dan at prankstersproductions.com
http://www.prankstersproductions.com