[Gllug] EU patents

Richard Hillesley richard at linuxuser.co.uk
Mon Jun 30 23:02:54 UTC 2003

> Can we have a volunteer (or a small group) to be a 'lead' on this ?
> Rather than all of us working out the arguments, finding the nice examples,
> seeking out who we should talk to, draft individual letters to MPs/...,
> we need a small committee to coordinate.
>
> The rest of us can then follow: devote whatever time we feel we can afford

As a beginning can I suggest signing up to the ffii.org mailing list
and looking around the ffii website which offers suggestions for campaigning
and the information/tools to argue the case? Hartmut Pilch of the ffii has
done a fantastic job of promoting the case,  and compiling the relevant
information.

Some stuff about UKPO involvement can be found at:
http://swpat.ffii.org/players/uk/index.en.html
its not too late to get involved in writing to your MP, MEP and stating the
case articulately.

(Personally, I have come to the conclusion that patents have no value
whatsoever in any industry - except to the corporates who can afford the
lawyers. IBM owns 20000+ patents, and gains i.5 billion per annum from them).

We put together some articles, that may or may not succeed, to argue the case
from basic principles.

http://www.linuxuser.co.uk/articles/issue22/lu22-Cover_Feature-A_tax_on_ideas.pdf
http://www.linuxuser.co.uk/articles/issue23/lu23-Patents_followup-On_the_shoulders_of_giants.pdf
http://www.linuxuser.co.uk/articles/issue26/lud26-The_Luddite-Barriers_to_entry.pdf