[Gllug] Redhat / Debian / X reversion

James de Lurker jtl2nospamMUNGIEjump at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 7 18:31:27 UTC 2003

Paul Cupis wrote:
[..]
> Currently tripwire is in Debian's non-US section, and thus is a
> 'standard' part of Debian. It is in non-US becuase it uses encyption
> algorithms which are patented in the US.
>
> There is an open bug report [1] asking for it to be moved to non-free
> (making it not part of Debian).

Thanks Paul - after checking the link you provided I remembered that I had
skimmed it ages ago. Just considering siggen alone, it only uses crypto
hashing algorithms, which cause no restrictions I'm aware of, but I forgot
about the crypto library components and the public key stuff.

idea particularly throws a spanner in the works, even for non-US, because
deployment for commercial use required a license from AG Ascom AFAIR - and
actually _getting_ that sorted out was non trivial several years ago. Dunno
what the situation is now, but I don't suppose it got any easier.

--

   -- James

 From and Reply To are INVALID.

All public postings use munged headers[1]- To contact me off list:
   1) Remove "M U N G I E j u m p" ONLY: leave that "nospam" in there!
   2) change "hotmail" 2 "myrealbox" after the @

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk