[Gllug] Preparing large hard disk for Debian install

Ian Norton bredroll at darkspace.org.uk
Tue Jun 17 12:27:15 UTC 2003

I have had this,

did you use win98 or partition magic to create the partitions when installing
windows?

it might be a pain but its safer to either try fdisk under the debian cd (it
easily supports 180Gb disks afaik) or nuke it and install linux,

i reccommend,

/boot    /dev/hda1    125Mb
windows  /dev/hda2    120Gb
/        /dev/hda3    70Gb
swap     /dev/hda4    700Mb

yes i know it doesnt add up, but you get the idea :-)

if you dont want to destroy it you can always use partition magic to move your
windows partiton along a little (and resize if needed) and then create the rest
in the linux installer.

Ian

On Tue, Jun 17, 2003 at 11:44:47AM +0100, Taylor James wrote:
> [Sent for the second time as I don't think it went to the list the first
> time - apologies if you are receiving this for the second time]
>
> Hello all,
>
> I just bought a 180GB hard disk, and partitioned it for dual booting linux
> and windows using fdisk.
>
> Having installed windows on the primary partition (80GB), I tried installing
> Debian on the second partition but the tool the installer uses to create and
> format linux partitions (cfdisk) wont run and gives an error (something
> like): "FATAL ERROR: Bad primary partition 1: Partition ends after
> end-of-disk". I'm guessing it just doesn't support large hard disks. So
> basically, what tool(s) should I use to prepare my linux partition before
> starting the Debain installation? The user-friendlier the better!
>
> Cheers,
>
> --
> james
>

> The information contained in this e-mail is intended for the recipient or
> entity to whom it is addressed. It may contain confidential information that
> is exempt from disclosure by law and if you are not the intended recipient,
> you must not copy, distribute or take any act in reliance on it. If you have
> received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and
> delete from your system.
>
> --

----- Message of the Hour ------
Moooo :-)