[Gllug] problems with mysql database access

Xander D Harkness xander at harkness.co.uk
Tue Jun 3 18:25:20 UTC 2003

Sean Burlington wrote:

> Hi All,
>     I came back from holiday -> apt-get upgraded my system (debian
> testing) and now php/mysql won't play nice
>
> command line works fine

Why not run ethereal or similar utility to see what is being sent to the
database on a packet level?

Have you tried running the php script from the command line rather than
on a webserver?

I am certainly not a database expert; however it looks almost as if php
is not passing the user forward.

What does the database log say when you connect using the command line?

Have you also put apache logs into debug mode?

With debian and Red Hat to downgrade or reverse out an upgrade, it is
possible to uninstall a particular package and then specify a particular
package and version:

apt-get install mysql-3.2.1 etc.

rather than

apt-get install mysql