[Gllug] problems with mysql database access

Sean Burlington sean at uncertainty.org.uk
Tue Jun 3 23:53:38 UTC 2003

Xander D Harkness wrote:
> Sean Burlington wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>     I came back from holiday -> apt-get upgraded my system (debian
>> testing) and now php/mysql won't play nice
>>
>> command line works fine
>

> Why not run ethereal or similar utility to see what is being sent to the
> database on a packet level?
>
> Have you tried running the php script from the command line rather than
> on a webserver?
>
> I am certainly not a database expert; however it looks almost as if php
> is not passing the user forward.
>
> What does the database log say when you connect using the command line?
>
> Have you also put apache logs into debug mode?

I have found the problem
emabarrasing really - just before I went on holiday I was experimenting
with safe mode - it seems I turned on sql.safe_mode (and forgot abot it
during the holiday)

got back from holiday - did some upgrades - and then started codeing sql
stuff (so the first time I ran into errors was just after an upgrade)

and the php error message wasn't too helpful

seems like it just tried to conect as the default user with no password
- and didn't warn me that I was trying to do something forbidden !

command line worked - and none of the logs showed anything useful.

> With debian and Red Hat to downgrade or reverse out an upgrade, it is
> possible to uninstall a particular package and then specify a particular
> package and version:
>
> apt-get install mysql-3.2.1 etc.
>
> rather than
>
> apt-get install mysql

aha - that is worth knowing for the future (I haven't wanted to
downgrade too often but good to know I can)

thanks for your help

--

Sean

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk