[Gllug] Email Folders

Xander D Harkness xander at harkness.co.uk
Wed Jun 11 11:53:20 UTC 2003

Doug Winter wrote:

>On Wed 11 Jun Jason Clifford wrote:
>

>>On Wed, 11 Jun 2003, Doug Winter wrote:
>>

>>>First, all the major MTAs support SMTP AUTH.  Unfortunately, Linux
>>>doesn't - well, not with PAM anyway.  Because the PAM API is implemented
>>>as a shared object, it runs as the owner of the calling process, who
>>>generally can't access the shadow password file.
>>>

>>You are wrong. Access to the shadow password database does require an
>>extra consideration however that is very easy to fix.
>>
>>I've been using PAM to authenticate SMTP AUTH for over three years.
>>

>Great - absolutely, this is certainly a better solution.  I'd be
>interested in how you do the authentication against the shadow database.
>
>The best solution I've seen is a patched pam_unix.so that allows one
>other specific group to authenticate against the shadow password
>database through PAM.  Personally, I consider this to be a pretty evil
>hack itself.

Exim supports PAM as one of the compile options, along with SASL,
kerberos, NIS etc. etc.

http://www.e-admin.de/pam_exim/

I am sure that postfix and others do this.

Kind regards
Xander

>>>Second is that many users are pretty clueless, and providing the
>>>inevitable telephone support for people who can't send mail is
>>>irritating in the extreme.  The more fields they need to complete in
>>>outlook express the more of them will screw up.
>>>

>>It's not that much extra support - I know as I've been providing it.
>>

>Splendid, I am pleased for you.  Would you care to provide everyone
>elses too? :)

exim will also do login, plain and spa, which is useful, if you set all
up then no matter what the clients choose it will work :-)

kind regards
Xander

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk