[Gllug] Scanning

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Wed Jun 11 11:49:37 UTC 2003

On Wed, Jun 11, 2003 at 10:37:14AM +0100, t.clarke wrote:
> We have experience of using an HP USB scanner on a Windows PC and the whole
> process sems painfully slow.  Fine if you want to scan just a few sheets,
> but if more than a few are involved the process seems to take forever.
>
> Anyone had experience with scanners who can suggest best hardware to use ?

Friend of mine bought an HP OfficeJet v45. I was pleasantly surprised
to find out that Linux support for this is excellent
(http://hpoj.sf.net/).

You can scan in a dozen or so sheets by loading them into the sheet
feeder and using the 'scanimage' program from SANE, but I agree that
scanning large amounts of data could get tedious. At the very least
you'd need some cunning shell scripting to manage the resultant files.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones, Red Hat Inc. (London) and Merjis Ltd. http://www.merjis.com/
http://www.annexia.org/ Freshmeat projects: http://freshmeat.net/users/rwmj