[Gllug] Tips on cassette tape -> ogg transfer

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Sat Jun 28 14:39:13 UTC 2003

On Sat, 28 Jun 2003, Richard Jones wrote:

> I'm trying to convert some old demo tapes to Oggs. I can record them
> from the line-in socket (although they don't sound very good). Does
> anyone have any tips on how to get better quality, and what Linux
> software to use to cut up the WAVs/Oggs into tracks?

Try experimenting with the volume level on the tape player although you
should keep the level fairly low.

Then play with the input levels on your line input. ALSA has better
support for this than OSS does.

You can amplify the sound in software if you can only input a quiet
signal.

Gramophile is written specifically for this application. I don't know if
it has ogg support itself however once you have split the wav file you can
use sox to create the ogg files.

Jason Clifford
http://www.ukfsn.org/			Sign up now

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk