[Gllug] Re: www.spews.org - spamming blacklist

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Wed Jun 11 10:51:21 UTC 2003

On Wed, 11 Jun 2003, Doug Winter wrote:

> Secondary MX
>     14367 total messages filtered
>     3747 ham, 10620 spam
>     26 pc ham
>     73 pc spam
>
> What's weird is that only 1/4 of mail on the primary is spam, whereas
> it's 3/4 on the secondary.  Ignore the rounding errors please.
>
> Do you think spammers choose secondaries intentionally as being less
> likely to have filters?  Or is it something I haven't thought of?

That is exactly what they do.

In addition to the fact that many sysops fail to consider the mx backup
systems for anti-spam protection many companies outsource mx backup
function to their ISP or another company (such as UKFSN ;) ) and many of
those operators have little or no anti-spam protection in place.

Certainly (well almost) a secondary MX server wont have content filtering
in place.

Jason Clifford
http://www.ukfsn.org/			Sign up now

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk