[Gllug] Re: www.spews.org - spamming blacklist

John Edwards John.Edwards at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Wed Jun 11 12:11:46 UTC 2003

On Wed, Jun 11, 2003 at 11:41:35AM +0100, Doug Winter wrote:

> A weird statistic (maybe it's generally the case) from our inbound MTAs
> at work (using spamd log lines to determine spamicity):
>
> Primary MX
>     25344 total messages filtered
>     19213 ham, 6131 spam
>     75 pc ham
>     24 pc spam
> Secondary MX
>     14367 total messages filtered
>     3747 ham, 10620 spam
>     26 pc ham
>     73 pc spam
> Totals
>     39711 total messages filtered
>     22960 ham, 16751 spam
>     57 pc ham
>     42 pc spam
>
> What's weird is that only 1/4 of mail on the primary is spam, whereas
> it's 3/4 on the secondary.  Ignore the rounding errors please.
>
> Do you think spammers choose secondaries intentionally as being less
> likely to have filters?  Or is it something I haven't thought of?
>
> doug.

Yep, some spammers definitely target secondary mail servers.

For most small companies these are usually their ISP's mail server, who
often avoid stringent spam blocking/filtering. Probably because their
customer base is too varied to avoid false positives or they can not
justify the development and support time.

--
|  John Edwards    Email: John.Edwards at uk.com  |

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk