[Gllug] Scanning

Simon A. Boggis simon at dcs.qmul.ac.uk
Wed Jun 11 09:49:56 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-06-11 at 10:37, t.clarke wrote:
> The problem is that one of our customer in France wants to us to scan various
> shiping-related documents and then email the scans to them, rather than faxing
> or posting at present.
>
> We have experience of using an HP USB scanner on a Windows PC and the whole
> process sems painfully slow.  Fine if you want to scan just a few sheets,
> but if more than a few are involved the process seems to take forever.
>
> Anyone had experience with scanners who can suggest best hardware to use ?

We bought a Fuijitsu SCSI scanner (Scanpartner 600c from memory) that
scans from a sheet feeder - it is very fast, and the scans seem to be of
reasonable quality, but I haven't tried it under linux. That sort of
thing might be worth looking at. Cost about 600 UKP at the time.

Simon

Dr Simon A. Boggis                                  Systems Programmer
Department of Computer Science,                     Tel. 020 7882 7522
Queen Mary, University of London, London E1 4NS UK.
---- GPG public key <http://www.dcs.qmul.ac.uk/~simon/#publickey> ----

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk